Thoughts on a system setup for streaming/recording or both

Coreteks Forums Forums General Discussion Thoughts on a system setup for streaming/recording or both

Tagged: AMF, encoding, H264, NVENC, Streaming

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nurso 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Albal_156
    Participant

I know that @coreteks has recommended the 5700/XT for several PC’s in the $1000 price area so far. But I can’t shake the fact currently that, due to where the AMF encoder is right now that NVIDIA is a far better hardware option for streaming if your CPU isn’t up to it (heck NVENC is even marginally better than H264 right now in fast moving games and with dark lighting and the RTX 2060 has about the same NVENC performance as the 2080Ti.) I would personally use H264 mainly due to the NVIDIA tax right now, (or do what I did and buy a used GTX 1070, which complicates matters somewhat.)

It seems as if H264 encoding is a better option for streaming until RTG (Radeon Technologies Group) sort their encoder out, as 8 core CPU s are quite cheap now and can software encode streams perfectly fine. My only conundrum is whether to use NVENC or H264 for streaming/recording as I have the option to do both. If I had a 3900X I’d go h264 all the way because I’d be able to use a lower preset and preserve more quality but thats not an option for me right now. (I currently have a 2700X which should be fine I guessing) Im just pondering which method will have the best stream quality (plus with NVENC my GPU is free to render frames all it wants, rather than GPU resources being taken up by encoding.)

Just some thoughts. AMD really need to sort this out if they want to beat NVIDIA as their only target right now is people who games only or have monster CPU’s such as the Ryzen 9 and Threadrippers, which is not precisely where their 5700 series was being targeted in my opinion.

nurso
    Participant

NVIDIA is a far better hardware option for streaming if your CPU isn’t up to it

FYI, OBS also supports VCE for recording and streaming; VCE or Video Coding Engine is AMD’s equivalent to NVIDIA’s NVENC. Just saying.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.